.

Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Dramaturgy Essay Example | Topics and Well Written Essays - 500 words

Dramaturgy - Essay ExampleAccording to Goffman, in the backstage part, we can degrade our strawman, forego speaking lines and step out of character (Wallace & Wolf 1999, 231). In other words, we can express our genuine selves in the backstage. On the other hand, when we be front stage, we usually show our superficial selves or a persona that the society wants to see us. We are seldom given the opportunity to be our true selves. We are always pretending to be someone else, appearing in different ways, acting in different ways. Most people, I think, normally, are non aware of their true identity. Erving Goffman explains thoroughly the backstage where actors do not need to engage in impression management they can be themselves. It is this part that I am trying to examine, develop, and perform at the front stage. I believe that if I can strengthen my backstage personality I can surveil my aspirations and not give in to the pressures and expectations of the society. When I am with my family and peers I immediately activate my front-stage self. My front stage self-refuses to show that I am overly sensible of my physical imperfections, but backstage I am always concerned about how I look like, and how others think of or see me. The notions of the backstage and front stage are all about impression management or the techniques a person use to guide and manipulate the impression from other people. My cozy thoughts significantly affect my flawed actions. We appear to have two reflections of ourselves, the inside and the outside, the front stage, and backstage.

No comments:

Post a Comment