.

Thursday, May 30, 2019

Simon Armitageremains Poetry :: Slavery Judgement Poems Branding Essays

Simon Armitageremains PoetryIn this poem the person talks close to I am very bothered when I thinkof the elusive things I have done in my life. He talks about all the badthings he has done in his life with he straight regrets. This is alsosimilar to poem they both share the same theme of looking back. Hetalks about when he likes a peculiar(a) girls a lot. So he held thescissors by the blades and played the handles by the naked lilacflame of the Bunsen burner. Then he called her over and handed themto the girl. The heat of it branded her skin. He indeed shows regrettowards the end dont believe me if I say. That was just myButterfingered way at xiii of asking if you would marry me. Thepoem uses very childlike lyric poem of such(prenominal) as butterfingerd toreflect the childlike qualities and immaturity of the persona. . Instanza two the persona uses a metaphor for marriages the unrivalledstench of branded skin as you slipped your thumb and middle finger I,they couldnt shake of f the two burning ring. Marked the doctor saidfor eternity, this is saying that he was immature. He uses the wordeternity because it is a way to show ever lasting love.In slavery times branding was a form of marking of property and makingsure that that particular slave was marked there property. A very oldfashioned view of marriage is that women become the property of therehusbands many civilizations practiced this such as the Greeks andEgyptians. This is why the word branded is used.He even goes on to say Dont believe me, please if I say that wasjust my butterfingerd way at thirteen of asking If you would marryme.. He is saying that his immaturity stopped him from reacting tothe situation at hand in a more adult fashion and non hurting some onein the process.The poem is very much talking about love and fear of rejection. Thetheme of the poem is about puerility and regret. The persona is verymuch in love. The poem is written in a sonnet a traditional way ofstructuring a love poem. The poetic devices the persona uses is conveymeaning to me because the words are descriptive and have rhyme andrhythm. Also it occurs quite strongly, in the mid line.In stanza one it is about the persona introducing the theme of thepoem. The theme of the poem is on the subject of regret I am verybothered when I think of all the bad things I have done in my life

No comments:

Post a Comment